Wednesday 7 February 2024

Snow White and the Seven Squats

I have a confession to make.

Also: happy new year, sorry for not blogging etc, etc.

My confession: I don’t like squats. Either the exercise (although by all accounts they are spectacularly good for you), or the 40k species (although by all accounts they are also spectacularly good for you).

Well, I didn’t like squats. I …kinda do, now.

In a breathtaking show of wisdom and love, The Minister of the Interior got me a job lot of 4th Ed high elves for Christmas. To go with the other elves, you see. I have plans for elves.

But whilst I was thoroughly enjoying the remodelling of the phoenix guard that I started over the holiday, I was constantly drawn to a surprise entry in the job lot - a little squad of squats and some space pirates.


I could not stop looking at these squats. They looked like the most professional military operators in the  whole RT universe. They needed to be painted. 

NEEDED.

But of the space pirates … well, mercenaries specifically - there were only four. And four would never do. No - five is what was required, and so after scouring the internet for lots of hours looking for the perfect 5th mercenary and generally wasting time, I realised I already have the perfect mercenary.

Olivia Neutron-Bomb. 

One of the Bring Out Your Lead figures. I should know … I’ve been there a few times now.

So, one thing led to another.


And another.




…and another.


You get the idea.



So you may have noticed that Olivia is a little monotone. That is intentional, with the lovely side effect of be easy to paint. Because the good lady is essentially black and white in the book, I was taken with the idea of trying to pay homage to her possibility. Some colour was needed, so I went with a “Schindler’s List” style of single colour, using only red. 

And then, because I had a camera, some figures and some time… I took some pictures.

They’re behiiiiiind you…

Snow White and the Seven Squats?

Olivia Neutron-Bomb and Psycho Sam

Downright irresponsible leaving those squats in there. Those elves are on a hard RT back burner now…

No, nothing to see here.





2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the Disney+ stream LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I see you've got back in to this blogging malarkey as well! I had mentioned you in my second post of the year (after a longer absence...) and here you are!
    First off - love what you've done with Olivia/Snow White and the Squats although with that starry background it looks like they might run in to some Clangers ;) - I love it really!
    Anyway, I thought last time we saw each other you were moaning about never receiving hobby related gifts from your nearest and dearest XD Funny how it's those random bits of a joblot that you find you never knew you needed until you acquired one or two of them!

    ReplyDelete